Saturday, May 13, 2006

Songs where the primary topic is homosexuality



# "101% Man" by The Beautiful South (2003)
# "Adam and Steve" by Spacehog
# "Ain't Nobody Straight In L.A." by The Miracles
# "Andy, You're A Star" by The Killers
# "Animal Nitrate" by Suede
# "All The Things She Said" by t.A.T.u
# "An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery
# "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?" by Jayne County (1986)
# "Are You Man Enough to Be a Woman" by Jayne County
# "Army Song" by Spouse



# "Art Fag" by Anal Cunt
# "Bisexual Girl" by Coyote Shivers (1996)
# "Bobby Brown" by Frank Zappa
# "Born This Way" by Carl Bean (1977), with the chorus including the lines "I'm happy, I'm carefree, and I'm gay, I was born this way"
# "Breakdance Hunx" (remix) by Kids on TV featuring Boy George
# "Bulldagger Swagger" by Phranc (1995)
# "Coming Clean" by Green Day
# "Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other" by Ned Sublette (1981)
# "Cruising the Streets" by Boys Town Gang (1981)
# "Drag" by King Adora
# "Drive" by Melissa Ferrick
# "Eating Amy Out (Of House and Home)" by The Need (2001)
# "Eddie's First Wife" by Gretchen Peters
# "Every Man Has a Man Who Loves Him" & "Every Woman Has a Woman Who Loves Her" special 2004 recordings by Yoko Ono of her earlier song "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him"
# "Fagetarian and Dyke" by Team Dresch (1994)
# "Femme Bitch Top" by Tribe 8 (1995)
# "Femme in a Black Leather Jacket" by Pansy Division



# "Forbidden Love" by The Apostles
# "Fuck Anita Bryant" by David Allan Coe
# "G.A.Y." by Geri Halliwell
# "Gay Messiah" (2005) and "April Fools" by Rufus Wainwright
# "Gender Is As Gender Does" by God Is My Co-Pilot (1992)
# "Gertrude Stein" by Phranc
# "Girl-O-Matic" by Three Dollar Bill (1998)
# "Glad to Be Gay" by the Tom Robinson Band
# "Green Carnations" by Noel Coward (1933) (wearing green carnations was a way of signalling to other gay men that one was gay as well)
# "Hand In Glove" by The Smiths
# "Hideaway" by Erasure (1987)
# "Homophobia" by Leaether Strip (2005)
# "Homophobia" by Victims Family
# "Homosapien" by Pete Shelley (1981)
# "Homosexuality" by Modern Rocketry
# "I Am What I Am" from the Broadway soundtrack "La Cage Aux Folles," also recorded by Gloria Gaynor
# "If I Were Gay" by Steven Lynch
# "I Kissed a Girl" by Jill Sobule (1995)



# "I'll be Your Girl for All Seasons" by Northern State (2005)
# "I Love Boys Hardcore" by Limp Wrist
# "I Spent My Last $10 (On Birth Control and Beer)" by Two Nice Girls
# "I Wanna be a Homosexual" by Screeching Weasel
# "I Want the One I Can't Have" by The Smiths (includes the line "and if you ever need self-validation, just meet me in the alley by the railway station.")
# "I Want You Hard" by Leaether Strip
# "I Wish I Was Queer (So I Could Get Chicks)" by The Bloodhound Gang (1996)
# "I Wish I Were a Fairy" (1940) by John Ryan
# "I'm Still Your Fag" by Broken Social Scene
# "Jesus Clone" by Nervous Gender (1981)
# Jet Boy, Jet Girl by Elton Motello
# "Jimmy got a little bit of Bitch in Him" by Funkadelic (1974)
# "Jonathan David" by Belle and Sebastian
# "Legendary Children" by Holly Johnson (1994)
# "Leviticus Faggot" by Me'shell Ndegeocello
# "Love is Love" by RuPaul
# "Malchik Gay" by t.A.T.u
# "Man Enough to Be a Woman" by Wayne County & the Electric Chairs (1978)
# "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" by Jayne County (2001)
# "Mann gegen Mann" by Rammstein
# "Meet the G That Killed Me" by Public Enemy (1990)
# "Menergy" by Patrick Cowley (who was one of the earliest victims of AIDS)
# "Michael" by Franz Ferdinand
# "Mississauga Goddam" by The Hidden Cameras (2004)
# "Mujer contra Mujer" by Mecano (1998). Originally in Spanish, it was later recorded also in French ("Une Femme avec une Femme"), English and Italian by Mecano themselves. Also covered by Fey.
# "Murder In Hollywood" by D.O.A.
# "Nancy Boy" by Placebo
# "Nelly Strut" by Sta-Prest
# "No Clause 28" by Boy George, a protest song against a proposed anti-gay British law
# "Not Gonna Get Us" by t.A.T.u
# "No Man's Woman" by Sinéad O'Connor
# "Ode" by Limp Wrist (2004)
# "Off-Duty Sailor" by The Dicks
# "Only Loved At Night" by The Raincoats
# "Outside" by George Michael
# "Piccadilly Palare" by Morrissey (1990)
# "Prove It On Me Blues" by Ma Rainey (1926)
# "Punk Rock Fag" by Best Revenge
# "Queer Disco Anthem" by God Is My Co-Pilot
# "Queer Enough For You?" by Mukilteo Fairies
# "Raspberry Swirl" by Tori Amos



# "Read My Lips" by Jimmy Somerville
# "Real Men" by Joe Jackson (1982)
# "Red" by Poundhound (1998)
# "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (1983)
# "Retarded Drag Queen" by Three Dollar Bill
# "Rough Boys" by Pete Townshend
# "Saturday Night At The Bookstore" by The Dicks
# "Secret" by The Veronicas
# "Seeing Other People" by Belle and Sebastian
# "Sexuality" by Billy Bragg
# "She Has a Girlfriend Now" by Reel Big Fish
# "She's So Butch" by God Is My Co-Pilot (1993)
# "Singing for Our Lives" by Holly Near
# "Sissy Blues" by Ma Rainey (1926)
# "Sissy Man Blues" by Pinewood Tom (1935)
# "Smalltown Boy" (1983) by Bronski Beat
# "So Many Men, So Little Time" (1983) by Miquel Brown
# "Something Strange" by The Herd (featuring Peter Frampton (1968)
# "Space Is The Place" by Spacehog
# "Superdyke!" by Lesbians On Ecstasy (2004)
# "Take Your Mama" by Scissor Sisters
# "The Ballad of Cleo & Joe" by Cyndi Lauper, which is about drag queens (1995)
# "The Boy Next Door" by Academy 23
# "The Drowners" by Suede
# "The Fairview Mall Story" by Fifth Column
# "The Garden" by PJ Harvey



# "The Girls Just Want To Be With The Girls" by Talking Heads
# "The Killing of Georgie (Part 1 and 2)" by Rod Stewart
# "The Queer Song" by Two Nice Girls
# "The Wedding Song" by Tret Fure
# "There's More to Love Than Boy Meets Girl" by Communards (1987)
# "This Charming Man" by The Smiths
# "This Love Is Not Wrong" and "So Said Kay" by The Field Mice (both about Lesbianism)
# "Tim I Wish You Were Born a Girl" by Of Montreal
# "Tickle Tune" by Sex Boots Dread (gay Rastas)
# "Tony" by Patty Griffin (Song about Suicide and Rejection)
# "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard
# "What Makes a Man a Man" by Charles Aznavour
# "When a Man Is In Love With a Man" by Of Montreal
# "Why?" (1983) by Bronski Beat
# "You think you're a man" by Divine

4 comments:

BlackGold said...

Amazing what I find on the internet.
I have a great blog post coming up it will blow your mind.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brad said...

Can't wait. You know I always look forward to your posts. What can I say? You make your posts so interesting with your photos, I can't help but read.

The Vintage Thursdays I think are my favorite, though. The sepia toned photographs are really stunning.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. purchase ativan canadian pharmacy